Thursday, September 29, 2011

Canning cowboy candy

As you know from previous garden posts, my garden has been popping with jalapeno peppers. I used some in salsa, some in casseroles or other recipes, and froze some – but a little bit of pepper can go a long way!

So I decided to give my first go of canning. I found this recipe for Cowboy Candy (candied jalapenos) from Tasty Kitchen. I started with about 3 pounds of peppers.Canning Jalapenos 2011 (7)

Then I sliced them all up…warning: wear gloves!Canning Jalapenos 2011

I cooked these in the vinegar/sugar/spice mixture for about 5 minutes, then funneled them into the sterilized jars.

Then I used my handy new little canning basket to put the jars in and boiled for about 15 minutes. Canning Jalapenos 2011 (4)

Then I let them cool overnight and will let them mellow for a good few weeks or month.Canning Jalapenos 2011 (6)

I am looking forward to enjoying them on this…


Source

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We are too alike, twin! I did these too after I saw the recipe! Yum!