Sunday, August 25, 2013

Baby Nursery Tour

With a week before Baby Pope is due to be born, we’re happy with the outcome of the room for him/her to come home to. After the sneak peek I posted in July, I’ve completed quite a bit of sewing and Ronny has helped a lot with reorganizing.

I was inspired for the colors of the room from the fabric {Moda’s Baby Jane} that I used to make the crib quilt. I also liked the vintage/antique feel for decorations, so I found a lot of the decorations from antique stores and from Ronny and I’s childhood. DSC04395

My grandparents gave us this beautiful, antique dresser for baby’s room. It is the perfect size for the changing pad and a bin for easy access to diapers, wipes, and creams. DSC04406

The wall collage was a work in progress that I’ve been collecting for some time. I’m thankful for Ronny and his measuring tape/level skills. He made sure it was all even. I would have just eyeballed it. :)DSC04396

I made this small quilt hanging out of scrap fabric from my quilt. It was my first paper-piecing quilting project. I used this cow pattern, and included mini-flying geese as well. When putting on the binding, I included large, white rick-rack and hung the wall hanging inside of a frame I found from Goodwill that I spray painted white.
DSC04398

This year when we were visiting the National Western Stock Show, I came across this poem call, “The Tradition” and I loved the ending paragraph. Frame also found at Goodwill.
DSC04399

I love Golden Books. And since this book had a cow and the perfect colors for the baby’s room, I framed it (in another spray painted frame from Goodwill.)DSC04400

This piece is a yarn art that I found in my grade-school crafts box. I’m not sure when I created it, but I love the colors. It was hung in my office, but I switched frames.
DSC04401

I left one small square frame to put a baby picture in.
DSC04402

I also made the crib mobile. Using this tutorial, I simply printed out the steer and bird silhouettes for the pattern. I made fabric/batting sandwiches, sewed around the steers and birds, then cut them out. I used Fray Check to keep the edges from fraying. Then I used embroidery floss to attach each one and tied to an embroidery hoop. Ronny said baby will get to start their livestock judging skills early with this pen of five. :)
 DSC04419DSC04403

The other side of the room includes our glider chair (that I originally got for my office), book shelf, Ronny’s childhood rocker and bear, pallet shelf and the laundry basket that I scored at a craft show.
DSC04410

This shelf was passed down from Ronny’s family. I found the wood crate and freezer basket at antique stores for books, and my friend, Maggie gave us the FEED wire basket that I’m using for toys. My friend, Georgia’s dad repurposed the lamp and painted it turquoise. I love it!
DSC04411

I think Ronny’s nesting kicked in before mine because he organized the whole closet!DSC04413

We are using this basinet that was my Dad’s, and each one of us kids slept in. The frame above it is from the Colorado Baby Shower where my family and “mom’s” each included a Bible verse.
DSC04414DSC04418

For the sewing projects, I used the sizing for the crib skirt from this tutorial I found on Pinterest, but instead of velcro, I attached ribbons. I liked the idea of using ribbons to tie on the skirt so I can easily move it up as I move the mattress down. I incorporated the flying geese pattern that I used on the quilt as well.
DSC04408
DSC04330

I struggled to find a changing pad cover online to buy, so I used this tutorial to make my own. I had a strip of the turquoise, ABC’s fabric so I put it in there for some fun color.
DSC04332DSC04336

The last thing not in nursery right now, but is a nice addition for Baby Pope coming is this beautiful rocking chair from Grandpa and Grandma Bailey. We picked it out at a local Amish store, and I love that I’ll be able to do lots of rocking and cuddling in it very soon!
DSC04428

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Kelsey, it is amazing! You are so talented with all your sewing projects! Baby Pope is going to love it, you guys are going to be great parents! Can't wait till she/he arrives, so soon!

MandL said...

The room looks wonderful Kelsey! I love all the little details! Congratulations!

Emily said...

LOVE it! That mobile is freaking awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow Kelsey! Every little detail is so stinkin' cute, great job!

Home on the Range Exchange said...

So cute, every detail is adorable. Probably going to "borrow" the mobile idea for some upcoming baby showers. Can't wait to meet the little blessing!