Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mark one for the list: Places to Visit

The Trade Team in front of a DDGS mountain Yesterday I went on a tour with a trade team group from Turkey. I am definitely adding Turkey to my ever-growing list of places to visit someday. One of the Turks told me that they get over 27 million tourists every year. I probably could have listened to them talk in their native language all day. I was so surprised at it, and it is hard to describe except that it was such a smooth language. Unlike many languages that are harsh or have a lot of fluctuation in tones, Turkish was a very beautiful language and steady. I learned that the Turkish language is not an Indo-European language. It belongs to the Altay branch of the Ural-Altay linguistic family. The languages of this family are called Altaic because they are believed to have originated in the high lands around the Altay Mountains of Central Asia. So if you think of Asian languages that are usually high-pitched and twangy, this was not the case. I should have recorded them.

Anyways, here are a few pictures that I found on the Internet of where I hope to take Ronny and visit someday, and then I'll get to hear the beautiful language again:



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sign me up! I'd like to go there too :)

Mandy said...

I just had Turkish food tonight! YUMMY!