Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sausage Soup recipe for a snowy day

As with most of the Midwest – we finally got snow! My neighbor, Kim and I who carpool to Lincoln left early in the afternoon and we’re glad that we did.

When I got home soup just sounded like the most logical thing to make to warm me and the kitchen up. So I made Grandma Bailey’s amazing Sausage Soup. Sounds simple – and it is – but it is SO good! The secret ingredient is….shhh…liquid smoke. :)


Since it’s not a secret family recipe, I’ll share. Try it. You’ll thank me later.

Sausage Soup 
Ingredients 
1 lb bulk sausage
1 cup water
1 medium potato, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. summer savory
1 – 10 oz pkg frozen mixed veggies
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. sugar
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 soup can milk
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup Velveeta cheese, grated or diced

Directions Crumble sausage in frying pan and cook until done. Drain fat. In a large saucepan mix sausage, water, potato, onion, bay leaf, liquid smoke, popper and summer savory. In a small saucepan, cook the frozen vegetables, water and sugar until they are tender. Pour mixed vegetables into large saucepan, then add remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended and simmer until the potatoes are tender and flavors blended, about 30 minutes.

No comments: