Monday, October 14, 2013

Chisum’s Birth Story {Part 1} Patience

41 Weeks (2)On Sunday, September 8, 2013, Ronny and I loaded our bags, took one last baby bump picture and looked at our house one last time as a house of two, before heading to the hospital to have our little one. Earlier that afternoon, we both took naps and watched a little football, trying to relax knowing that our lives would soon be changed. We seriously had no idea.

We hadn’t saved much time for dinner, so on our way to the hospital in Lincoln, we drove through McDonald’s for dollar-menu burgers and scarfed them down on the drive to the parking garage. We excitedly walked into the hospital and went to the 4th floor for Labor and Delivery knowing that soon enough we’d get to hold our baby in our arms.

Up to this point, I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had had a very healthy pregnancy with just a little scare at the beginning from a hematoma in my uterus. Around 36 weeks, Baby Pope decided to be breach, but at 37 weeks had turned down and all was looking good. When September 1st – my due date – rolled around, I didn’t get too anxious because I had a feeling I would go past my due date. But I was very eager when Labor Day came and I was in labor!

Or so I thought. I was having consistent contractions in the morning which got stronger as the day went on. And then they just stopped. I was a little concerned, except I could still feel Baby Pope moving, so I figured if they were strong enough at night they would wake me up. I woke up the next morning to nothing. I had a doctor’s appointment that day and Ronny went with me. Baby Pope was perfectly fine, just very content and not dropping. So we went home pretty disappointed. I took off of work the rest of that day – Ronny and I got coffee and took a walk around Holmes Lake in Lincoln to talk and try to distract ourselves from being too anxious.

That next morning as I was doing my daily Bible devotional at breakfast, I prayed to God for patience. I did my devotion and then opened up my Bible to read through Romans. I started reading this book earlier in the summer and was working my way through it. God sure knew that I needed to read Chapter 5 – Developing Patience.
photo
“We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.” Romans 5:3-4 (The Message)

How good is God?! He knew I was anxious. He knew all I wanted was to not be pregnant anymore. He knew I was so ready to meet this baby. Yet, He had a plan. And part of that plan was to teach me that through whatever situation and “whatever God will do next” for me, was to show me that He is truly in control.

I worked the Wednesday and Thursday of that week, then took off Friday so Ronny and I could do something fun together – again to distract ourselves! We decided to go to Branched Oak Lake for a picnic lunch and to do some hiking/throwing the ball around for Hank. It was a hoooootttttt day. July was the coolest July on record – very nice for this pregnant lady! But August came back with a vengeance and some hot days remained. Nevertheless, we found a shady spot by the lake and enjoyed time together. But still no baby.
 image

Meanwhile, my doctor had called and wanted to set a time for an induction. Baby Pope was measuring big and at the last ultrasound measured around 8 pounds 6 ounces. She didn’t want this first-time mama to wait too long on this little one to make his/her own appearance. So we set it for September 9th.

Through God’s plan of teaching me patience, I leaned on Him like never before. Sure, everyday someone would ask if I was ready to have the baby. And it didn’t bother me. God settled my heart and anxiety. I gave my worries to Him and allowed Him to work through me.

Continue reading Chisum's story:
{Part 2} Strength & Miracles 
{Part 3} Meeting Chisum
{Part 4} NICU & Healing

1 comment:

Missy said...

Kelsey, I thank you for writing this. It is such a treasure that God gives us when we slow down and let Him tend to us. Can't wait to read he next one. Thank you for encouraging other in Christ by sharing your story. :)

Love,
Missy Morgan