Sunday, February 24, 2013

Charleston & Port Tour

I’ve been traveling the last two weeks – so it’s nice to be home now for awhile. I was in Charleston for the U.S. Grains Council meetings – almost exactly a year from when I was last in Charleston.

I was in meetings for three days, but had an afternoon to walk around the town.
DSC03486

The Council took our group out to the Boone Hall Plantation for a tour, dinner and some entertainment.DSC03513

The row of live oaks were planted in 1743 – an absolutely beautiful entry to the mansion. DSC03516

Slave Street were a row of the living quarters of the skilled slaves. Each “house” contained a mini-museum exhibit about the role of slaves in the South specific to the plantation and the area. DSC03518

We had dinner and entertainment in the “Cotton Dock” where we could shuck oysters and enjoy a great blue grass band with dinner. The location on the river in the evening was beautiful – and the rain subsided just enough for us to enjoy. With a large group of farmers, they were having a hard time not complaining at the rain – just wished they could take it home with them!
DSC03525DSC03529DSC03530

The next day following the conference, a group of farmers and staff from Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana put together some side meetings – one of which was with the South Carolina Port Authority and the Port of Charleston. They set up a tour of the port for us – on a tug boat! When I first heard tug boat I was thinking, “cramped and a little fish-smelling”. But this was the caddy of tug boats – I guess it has to be to bring in large container vessels to the port. DSC03533DSC03541

This is where the “pilot” commands the boat. He explained the the boat was like a versatile tractor – he knew he was talking to a group of farmers. :)DSC03560

Sites on the shore.DSC03567DSC03532

There were even dolphins jumping around in the river around our boat. There is the fin of one – I got some video of them so will try to post that later.
image

This vessel was delivering fruit from South America – our world trade just amazes me.DSC03584DSC03591

It was a great experience and I can never get enough of Charleston – I think I’ll go back again next year!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

How fun! Wish I could travel in your suitcase just to see the places you get to go!